WEATHER CANCELLATIONS: All cancellations due to weather will be posted by 4 PM the day of training.
Emails will also go out to all participants.
City Islanders GoalKeeping Academy
– U9 through U17
The mission of the City Islanders Goalkeeper Academy is to provide the highest level of goalkeeper specific training in the area. The Academy utilizes modern methods and approaches to develop goalkeepers with the technical, tactical, and psychological components necessary to succeed in today’s game.
GoalKeepers will receive:
- 18 Weeks of training including both indoor and outdoor — see below for specific details
- Each GoalKeeper will receive gloves, training top/jersey, and a formal evaluation
“Exciting times to be a goalkeeper in Central PA! We hope you come join us as we develop the next level GK.” — Isles GK Staff
- Eight Weeks
- Technical, speed, and explosive training
- Sundays – 7-8 PM
- January 4, 11, 18, 25, February 2 (this is a Monday, training from 8-9 PM due to SuperBowl Sunday on Feb. 1), 8, 15, 22
Location: Twin Ponds West
200 Lambs Gap Road
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
- Four Weeks
- Continued technical training; tactical/functional training
- Mondays – 7-8 PM
- March 2, 9, 16, 23
Twin Ponds West
200 Lambs Gap Road
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
- Six Weeks
- All aspects of the position in an outdoor setting
- Fridays – 6:15-7:15 PM
- April 3, 10, 17, 24, May 1, 8
CD East High School (field #1)
626 Rutherford Road, Harrisburg, PA 17109
What to bring: GK gear (gloves, jersey, shorts/pants), cleats and sneakers, water/sports drink
*Any sessions rained out or field conditions are unplayable, will be made up.
Make Up Dates: Sunday, May 10 and Monday, May 11/6:15-7:15 PM at Central Dauphin East High School, Field #1
Cost $600: (two options)
Pay in Full by the first session (January 4th) and receive a $50 discount.
To register, Click HERE.
3 Time Payment Plan:
- $200 at registration — due by January 4, 2015
- $200 due by March 2, 2015
- $200 due by April 3, 2015
What this training offers the GoalKeeper:
- 12 weeks of indoor training for technical/tactical, explosive movements they will need in goal
- 6 weeks of outdoor training consisting of technical, functional/tactical, and psychological training to help your GK become a game changer
- Technical: Positioning, handling(catching/deflecting), diving(front, low, collapses, mid-range height, and extension), high balls(crosses, boxing)
- Functional/Tactical: angle play, reaction saves, distribution(hands/feet), breakaways, pks, set pieces, restarts, communication
- Psychological: leadership skills, coping with game(goals against), having short term memory to move forward in the game, managing mistakes/losing confidence, right communication (tone of voice/when not to talk), creating an on-field presence
- Each Goal Keeper will receive GKs gloves, training top/jersey, and an evaluation in addition to the training
About Our GoalKeeping Trainers
Nick Noble – Nick finished his third season with the City Islanders. He is vastly regarded as one of the top goalkeepers to every put on an Islanders uniform. Noble’s 2013 season moved him into the lead spot for multiple City Islanders all-time records, including wins by a goalkeeper, career saves, matches played by a goalkeeper, minutes played by a goalkeeper, and career shutouts.
Prior to joining the Islanders in 2012, Noble spent a portion of his career competing in the MLS and in Europe. Noble was a first-round draft pick by the Chicago Fire in the 2007 MLS Supplemental Draft, and debuted for the Fire during the 2008 US Open Cup. After spending time with both the Chicago Fire and Austin Aztec for his first three professional seasons, Noble joined Ljungskile SK in Sweden for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. During his two years in Sweden, Noble made 59 appearances for Ljungskile, before he returned to the US and signing a contract with the LA Galaxy at the end of 2011.
Noble is a graduate of West Virginia University, where he was a four-year standout net-minder, and was named the Big East Goalkeeper of the Year in 2006. During his off-season, Nick coaches in the Central Pennsylvania area and with the City Islanders Youth Academy.
Dave Kern - Dave Kern enters his fifth season as goalkeeper coach for the City Islanders. He also serves as the Director for the Islanders Youth Academy.
The native of Glenolden, PA, ranks first among keepers in team history with 38 games played, 3,390 minutes, 22 wins, and 390 saves, and is second with nine shutouts. He went undefeated in 2005, going 10-0-1 with a 0.98 goals against average as the team had its best regular season ever (12-3-5). He started and won the first game in team history on April 17 in Northern Virginia. On top of his time with Harrisburg and winning a championship in 2007, Kern was also a part of two championship teams with the Baltimore Blast of the MISL in 2008 and 2009. Kern finished with six years in the pros before taking over the goalkeeper coach responsibilities in 2011.
Kern enjoyed a fine career at College Misericordia before graduating in 2002, snagging All-PAC honors in 2000 (First Team), 2001 (Second Team), and 2002 (First Team). In 2000, he posted a 0.75 goals against average, helping Misericordia to the school’s first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. He was the team’s MVP in 2001 and 2002, and in the fall of 2013 was voted into the College’s Athletics Hall of Fame.
Kern also acts as the City Islanders Youth Academy Director, CD East High School Boys Varsity Head Coach, Summer Academy Team Coach, and he also coaches for LDC.
Questions: Contact the City Islanders at 441-4625 (GOAL) OR email firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com.